Home > constituent services > U.S. Passport Service Share

U.S. Passport Service

Passports and Visas

If you are planning to travel out of the country, you need to obtain a passport. Some countries also require that you obtain the proper visa. Most of the information you need to obtain a passport or visa follows.

If you have additional questions not answered here or have an emergency passport request, please contact one of my constituent services representatives in Utah at (801) 851-2500 and we may be able to help. If you require assistance from my office you can fill out the privacy release form here: Privacy Release Form

Passport and Visa Links Online:

U.S. State Department
Passport Applications and Instructions
First Gov

Questions Asked the Most About Passports and Visas:

How do I get a passport?

  • Passports are obtained through the Passport Services Division of the Department of State. Through your local passport acceptance agent, usually a Post Office, you can apply for a new passport, renew your old one, or do any of a number of things, including replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged passport, or adding new pages to your existing book. You can search for application locations near you and print out passport forms at the website.

How long will it take to get my passport?

  • Passports usually take from 30 to 40 days to issue. For an extra $35.00 fee--plus the cost of 2-way overnight mail--you can "expedite" this process and receive your passport in 7 to 10 days.

Do I need a travel visa in addition to my passport?

Where can I find government information for overseas travel?

  • Check the State Department website for travel warnings and consular information sheets that provide very helpful information about the country you plan on visiting. This is especially helpful during the current War on Terrorism. The U.S. State Department website also contains very comprehensive information on all the services it provides both stateside and abroad. This includes crisis assistance for U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad, and various travel publications available on-line.

How can I contact American Embassies and Consulates?